Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Resource & Insight

Go down 
+2
Edyrem
Tom
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tom
Staff
Tom

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Anatomy:
Spoiler:

Tutorials:
Spoiler:

Youtube:
Spoiler:

Ebooks:
Spoiler:

Rough animation:
Spoiler:

Programs:
Spoiler:

Techniques:
Spoiler:

Model sheets and professional reference material:
Spoiler:

Artists and other sites:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Tom on Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 3:37 pm

After some thought, we realized that it makes more sense to leave this thread open to contributions by anyone.

With that note, you guys needa check out this Skullgirls game's animation process. It's very useful, simple information that I'm sure everyone here can benefit from when it comes to cleaning.

http://skullgirls.com/category/blogs/art/

Read all the blogs on that page, trust me, it's cool.

And here some human head references for your benefit:
1:
2:
3:
4:
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 11:55 am

a few links for free sound effects:

http://sweetsoundeffects.com/
www.freesound.org

All royalty free stuff, so you can use it without thinking about copyright and stuff like that.

Edyrem, good find!
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Pulled from 4chan:
Back to top Go down
Jettzin

Jettzin

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 2:35 pm

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/
good place to learn stuff
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 4:49 am

4chan wisdom:
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 7:52 pm

What's with the not-sticky'd-ness?
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 3:27 am

Oh, that. Well, we're not really flooded with threads at the moment, so this isn't gonna get bumped down into a dark abyss.
At least this way it's easier to notice when someone makes a new post.
Just one of the conveniences of a slow forum I guess, hahaha

Also:
Touma wrote:
These guys talk about how to get into animation (mainly japan i think.)
Anyway really interesting for people that want to this later for there job(which i guess is everyone here hehe.)

Man this is a very fun and informative watch, I'm gonna watch all 7 parts. Fuck, dudes, take your opportunities in life when they come. It's the little things, dudes! The little things! :rage:

/e: lol @ second part of the vid. This one line that went something like:
"There's a more clearly defined path for becoming the president of the United States than breaking into the entertainment industry."
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 4:06 pm

Oh lawdy, check this shit out, fellas. An in-depth artistic study of the forearm anatomy.

http://anatomyproartifex.blogspot.com/2012/04/quick-forearm-study-my-pal-rich.html
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 10:53 am

Here's what makes a human feminine (nsfw):
http://www.femininebeauty.info/feminine-vs-masculine
Back to top Go down
Creativename

Creativename

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 10:27 pm

That's a worthless article, Edyrem, wtf. I'm not kidding. Nobody will ever learn anything that has any value from that article.

Here is a John K. blog-entry that touches the topic of femininity, in what I think is a valuable way:
http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2010/06/3-dimensional-vs-2-dimensional-design.html
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Are you trolling? Sure, that article has a nice little tip about cartooning, but you can't be serious about the other article. In a way I feel like you disagree just to say something different. That doesn't totally bother me though.

Did everyone see this thing already? (It's a lovely guide on digital painting. Really cool looking. Definitely check it out.)
http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Also, very good post by De8:
De8struction wrote:
I dont think expressions are something we could teach, nobody here is decent enough at them in my opinion to teach, the best one here in my opinion is creativename but he uses a western style, I would just teach myself if I were you (i teach myself this as me lol so that was dumb to say) Just draw expressions from Legend of Korra, thats a good one, check this guy out on DA
http://phobs.deviantart.com/
He's fucking great, he draws in a western style but if your style has eyebrows then anything should work.practice drawing mouths separately, I plan to do a very large post about this when I finish learning. But I would recommend looking into micro expressions, it shows what the mouth would look like during a certain feeling, and all the parts of the face, heres a brief example:
Resource & Insight Micro_expressions_tim_roth%255B1%255D
Watch the show lie to me if you cant pirate the learning tool for micro expressions, u can find them on the internet METT and SETT are what I used to learn it, literately takes about a hour to learn and you can use it in real life. I haven't found a way to get those funny expressions like the ones your friends make, besides just imitating the ones in Korra
So I believe the DA link after observed enough could teach you eyebrows and micro expressions could teach you the basics of what the face dose during a certain feeling. After practicing drawing expressions from Korra (and the boondocks season 3 just came to mind as another good one for expressions, I guess Korean studios are just boss at that) they should get you the hang of putting them together and then you can work on making your own naturally from the dome. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Creativename

Creativename

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 12:05 pm

I clicked on Edyrem's article, http://www.femininebeauty.info/feminine-vs-masculine, to read. It's really terrible, full of worthless and destructive information.

A woman can be built in the mold of a man. She can retain her femininity despite how I view her angles, or what I think of her measurements.

The writer of this article speaks as if, the fact that men all look a little like Adam, and that woman all look a little like Eve, means that in a group of three women, you will be able to point out the one that is least feminine. Using only key distinctions between men and women.

The writer is just spouting idiocy, and it's amplified and made more stupid because the writer isn't talking about a few specific examples of femininity, and isn't suggesting anything specific, but is saying "anyone and everyone could benefit from thinking a little more like me, in regards to how they view femininity."

Here is the Mad Madam Mim:

She is not lacking in femininity.

Do you guys really want us to use all those sources and resources? You want to publicly broadcast them, and just say "anyone who is bored and looking for homework, here you go!"? I don't read as much as you, apparently.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 1:39 pm

1. Remove head from ass.
2. Be interested in getting good at art.
3. Look through this thread when you hit a plateau.
4. ???
5. SKILL POINTS!

For the record, articles aren't the only form of artistic resources and insights. The fuck is wrong with you? Do step 1 ASAP.

Also, I think that rant about femininity you're talking about stems from the same root as your thoughts on what it means to make good art. And thus, I have to consider your opinion to be one that is numb to the accuracy of well-supported assumptions when it comes to subjective things like art quality and femininity.
But to bite on your point with that old lady character (probably offending somebody right now by not knowing her name :( ), she's a fucking stylized cartoon; femininity doesn't HAVE to be expressed by what that article said. The article was just a source of insight on physical femininity, on a realistic level. What instinctively suggests femininity to our primitive brains. Obviously the character is still a female without having to adhere to a very subtle trait in the realistic female anatomy. Body language plays as much role as the body when it comes to gender, among other things. You have not in any way been able to properly diminish the value in that article.

Back on this thread, though... here's a tip for y'all beginners or advanced members who missed a trivial technique:
Drawing/Erasing hotkeys:
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 9:23 am

A discussion I had on 4chan's /ic/ board:

Know what, fellas? I'll post one thing every day until all my bookmarks and saved images and whatnot are fully shared. This will be easier than posting it all at once and everybody gets a new thing to think about everyday.

Oh holy shit, /ic/ really hits me sometimes.
Touma, I should have said this to you long ago but never realized exactly what to tell you. This man's point is spot on:
https://i.imgur.com/RhlBr.png
drawing zoomed in:
https://i.imgur.com/dMFbv.png
A lot of people going into fullbody animating suffer from this contour disease. I suffered from it as well. I drew so many characters without really studying anatomy lol. Oh, correction, I drew so many characters with the false impression that my anatomy was almost perfect. It was and is far from it.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 10:53 am

Missed yesterday, so today will be double content.

Here's an important one:
Three links guiding you on how to handle yourself as a freelance artist (i.e. negotiating prices, setting agreements, etc.):

And this other thing is, "Drawing The Human Figure From Your Mind Complete Training Course:"
http://www.alienthink.com/inventiontocompletehumanbeing.blogspot.html
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 4:39 pm

theoretical stuff about beauty, which you'll probably find informative

http://www.androidblues.com/visualperception.html
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Composition guidelines on taking photographs, however there's no reason these fundamentals shouldn't translate directly to your illustrations.
Personally, I'm gonna take some time getting this stuff down pat xD

http://www.worth1000.com/tutorials/161809/camera-skills-a-guide-to-photographic-composition

http://www.worth1000.com/tutorials/161642/theory-breaking-the-rules

But honestly, word of advice to you guys, I don't really know for sure how much truth is in those guidelines, so take them all with a grain of salt and investigate further and decide yourself which rules you agree the most with.
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 9:39 am

http://io9.com/5916970/the-22-rules-of-storytelling-according-to-pixar

22 Rules of Storytelling - According to Pixar.
...these aren't quite rules, but they're ideas, exercises, suggestions - for you to run your story and mind through while you're in the process of writing.
...good sheeto, good sheeto. Swimming Bird could get in on this schitt.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 4:01 am

Good read there, brah. Hey, you're almost at 50 reps! My jimmies: rustled.

Here's some animation shizzle that'll do everyone good here - it's very possible that these were already posted though. But if they were, it probably wasn't in this thread.

Animation tips from some Western mofos:
http://www.frankandollie.com/PhysicalAnimation.html

How japanese animation is done:
http://washiblog.wordpress.com/2011/01/18/anime-production-detailed-guide-to-how-anime-is-made-and-the-talent-behind-it/
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 10:47 pm

An effective way to paint in three basic steps:

Another little sample:
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 4:12 pm

Oh fucking shit.
http://www.rhinohouse.com/
References of animal and human motion for animation.
The samples are in the thousands.
Back to top Go down
Steeze

Steeze

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Woo! you saved those two drawings you went over with me like several months back! :D I remember that iscribble sesh being pretty helpful, this might help some other psudans.

dude. all. these. references... you've hit a goldmine! thanks for sharing man. :)
Back to top Go down
http://steez10.deviantart.com
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 3:18 pm

^^ np bb

Paste from #psuda irc:

<Edyrem> oh yeah
<Edyrem> let me share with you guys
<Edyrem> shit i wrote down at work
<Edyrem> about art
<Edyrem> you get to see my journal entries
<HitorioComic> Wow those employees
<HitorioComic> You get to wow those employees
<Edyrem> lol
<Edyrem> they odnt know shit that i write down in english
<Edyrem> i could spill my guts on it and show it to them and they'll be clueless
<Edyrem> >arabicbrahs
<HitorioComic> [name is arabic] ["is a faggot" in English]
<HitorioComic> [name in arabic*
<Edyrem> Determine what the minimal thickness of your lines are on the inner details in relation to the thickness range of contours/outlines.
<Edyrem> Thicker contours allow more liens to exist inside the form because there is plenty of room for thinner lines provided by the thick ouline
<Edyrem> thinner contour srequire more minimalist detail inside (look at anime textures)
<Edyrem> (like, line tool anime)
<Edyrem> (or pencil w/e)
<Edyrem> (a lot of times they dont draw little subtle bumps and shit unless it was prominent)
<Edyrem> because if inner lines are as prominent as outlines, it creates a clash of line priority
<Edyrem> less is more
<Edyrem> you want to know exactly which lines are primary and which ones are seconary
<RawGreen|lunch> you like your lines girthy xD
<Edyrem> staying true to this rule of thumb helps create depth
<Edyrem> with the line art
<HitorioComic> Thank you for wording out thoughts.
<HitorioComic> *our
<Edyrem> it comes directly from the language you choose to use in your lines
<RawGreen|lunch> weak, fragile, fading away
<RawGreen|lunch> Bold, Loud, Messy
<Edyrem> lines can express a fluid feeling if you treat lines as if there's a fine layer of dark oil over the figure. Where woudl that oil appear more if the subject had a scrunched side and a stretched side? What if the object was moving very fast? Or if it made impact?
<RawGreen|lunch> Selectrified
<RawGreen|lunch> copy pasta?
<Edyrem> But lines don't always have to be treated like liquid. It's just one school of thought, one of many. They'er all hardly different at first glance but over time they create a different accent to the art
<Edyrem> typing off my notebook from work verbatim-ish
<Edyrem> I notice line thickness can also express brightness and depth

<Edyrem> lesson 2 of that day
<Edyrem> is a training routien I thought of, pretty straightforward
<Edyrem> Train everything exclusively. Then during each exclusive exercise try implementing everything else you learned. You approach each new drawing through an emphasis on one particular thing, but you try to encompass everything you learned as wel.
<Edyrem> The truth is, whatever area you choose to start your thought process on in the drawing will be apparent in your drawing.
<Edyrem> You can minimize this influence (because you want to, it's an arbitrary thing that should be eliminated)
<Edyrem> (unless you enjoy the spontaniety I guess, but that's another topic i'm not interested in)

<Edyrem> You can make this effect minor by doing studies of 'everything'
<Edyrem> Implementing yoru skill in color, value, perspective, gesture, proportions, line art, texture, design, etc. all at the same time during a drawing. You're practicing natural application

<Edyrem> One after the other, you do a 'complete' study. You will not be able to do everything at once, each to your full ability. But you must be able to get one thing right, which is waht you were thinking about mostly, while doign your best to get everything else 100% to your ability.

<Edyrem> Rotate which element in art it is that you will give a slightly extra amount of attention to, until you've done many artworks, and have done so while having a different primary focus in mind for each one, so that you eventually become well rounded on emphasizing different things during a complete draiwng. It's for you to gain control over it.

<Edyrem> If through each drawing session you're attempting ot apply everything you know, then eventually you'll be able to do slightly more than just one thing properly. Eventually, several. Eventually, you'll be doing everything automatically at full performance, at the same time.

<Edyrem> To be eligible for this exercise, you should be able to individually focus on almost any element in drawing, exclusively, independently
<Edyrem> and perform well
<Edyrem> i.e. you should be able to create accurate perspective if that's all you're focusing on
<Edyrem> same applies to gesture, anatomy, designing, color, etc.
<Edyrem> so practice these things 1 by 1
<Edyrem> but develop the 'complete drawing' instinct from early on, since this reflects your general drawing performance.
<Edyrem> that's it bros
<Edyrem> lol
<HitorioComic> Thissssssssssss
<HitorioComic> wasn't the best time. mom'll be home soon
<HitorioComic> time to last-minute chore hustle
<Edyrem> o
<Edyrem> should i copypaste this in the psuda resource/insaittu thred?

i decided yes

Last edited by Edyrem on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 3:18 pm

http://www.theartoffreelancing.com/resources/

Clear and significant advice for the self marketer.
He only shared this URL for people who bought (or downloadd) his video.

pm me to... buy it

He explains the.... art of freelancing

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Resource & Insight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource & Insight   Resource & Insight I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Resource & Insight
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Artistry :: Seminar-
Jump to: