Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Learning to paint.

Go down 
+3
Hitorio
Amf
Edyrem
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Tom
Staff
Tom

Learning to paint. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 12:31 pm

I just checked out Sycra's new video on Youtube, apparantly he has a website with a shitload of useful stuff on there, including an entire resource-section.
check it out at:

http://www.sycra.net/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 1:08 am

You_should_use_a_sharper_brush,_it_looks_like_the_one_ur_useing_is_a_soft_round_brush,_Which_is_cool, shouldn't._I've_only_seen_it_used_to_ad_basic_tones_like_sperateing_the_light_and_dark_values,_never_blending.
Back to top Go down
Amf

Amf

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 7:50 pm

so, edyrem, arn't you going to post what you've learned?
no ones posted here in like, 2 weeks!
Back to top Go down
Loopy

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 5:03 pm

dudeeee, your so amazing! can I use that little tiger character for some stuff, it's adorable lol, I just recently joined here, been over at FluidAnims for awhile, thiis place looks really cool, it's kinda nice to be joining while it's still relatively small :) I started drawing more recently because my Grandmother got me a sketchbook with about 200 pages and i'm just to damn lazy to animate sometimes :P

my computer is wayyyy to slow to handle photoshop and stuff, that's why it's always frustrating to animate on Flash, I haven't exactly done paintings, but I had a semester class on how to use photoshop and junk, and I'd like to get the trial on my dad's laptop, anyways, anyone got any cnc on some sketches I did? I used some tutorials for a few of these, although the chair is one that's in my house, sooooooo yeah, i'm 13 btw :P

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment?ui=2&ik=e56e224223&view=att&th=13507cf525989e0f&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_b7zXW_hlH6bkUMmMyrraV&sadet=1327276197604&sads=1j2FA-aMBPS5ilh4jOKlQ0TWm6g

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment?ui=2&ik=e56e224223&view=att&th=13507d014e2e7e65&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_b7zXW_hlH6bkUMmMyrraV&sadet=1327276154007&sads=BL_IJfVVe_uZg2pQ5l6MzMaqJv4&sadssc=1

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment?ui=2&ik=e56e224223&view=att&th=13507d528da9e752&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_b7zXW_hlH6bkUMmMyrraV&sadet=1327276344693&sads=mOgJVvz4wihr4ZF5bUsrEFZgU7s

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment?ui=2&ik=e56e224223&view=att&th=13507d178855b8b5&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_b7zXW_hlH6bkUMmMyrraV&sadet=1327276235579&sads=KYaEi3uFaR7vHJS3tUMKvtyoaGA

oh and here are most of my animations if your curious :P

http://www.truploader.com/author/Loopy

i've got a few more on fileize, but this isn't a page made for posting animations, I just thought i'd do that if people were curious

sorry if I kinda introduced myself here, idk if there's an introduction section errrr what
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Amf wrote:
What the fuck Edyrem you fucking flaking-ass nigger why are you leaving me hanging? Do your fucking entry, you filthy animal!

Sorry brah, I had displayed a shameful amount of procrastination on this. I'll get on it as soon as I finish my current drawing.

@Loopy
Welcome to the forum. It's alright, we accept introducing yourself while adding to an existing topic, but you're a tiny bit off topic lol
But to answer your question with another question: what do you want to use my signature for?
Also, your animatons are alright, but they're stick animations; you should put some of your time into fullbody animations.
Also, your google links don't work.
Also, if you got anything more to say outside of this topic just go into the 'Are you new?" thread you can find at the top of every forum.
Back to top Go down
Loopy

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 7:47 pm

oh sorry , by the tiger I meant the one you drew on the first page of this thread, it's adorable lol, I just wanted to try animating it for practice :P. as for fullbody, i've tried it and am trying it more and more, although I've lost the fullbody somewhere on my computer, I came here to try it out more and see how other people do it :) i've gotten some help from Felix who's showed me some tricks and tips, and i'm not sure why the links aren't working, try these, they should work

eye (unfinished)- http://www.truploader.com/view/287041

dino- http://www.truploader.com/view/148029

chair- http://www.truploader.com/view/475260

rose (finished but this is an un-updated picture)- http://www.truploader.com/view/378618

sorry there so big, just zoom out and stand back a little lol, any cnc or anything, even though there not paintings, just sketches :P

sorry if it seems like i'm off topic, i've found some "how to paint" books which are really cool
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Sorry for taking 5 days to respond.

That's how long it took me to load those pictures on my internet connection. (notsrs)
Anyway, I saw that video you copied that dino from lol. And the eye is really good, but it's slightly suspicious. Something tells me you tracing, brah.

On the subject of painting guides, though, lookie here what I found!
Spoiler:

Really just simplifies painting, don't it? Pretty to look at, to boot. Makes me want to paint.
Although, I can't cause my tablet's destroyed.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 4:44 am

I have to say, that tutorial Amf and I studied on page 3 (I studied it on paper since my tablet died)... it has quite a few facts that you guys should take with a grain of salt. The stuff he says seems inaccurate, to some degree. Like the hand compared to the face, and the wrist having one side that's twice as thick as the other. Most of these comparisons would be pleasing and convenient to make, but it's slightly inaccurate. No, I wouldn't complain about it if it was just 'slightly' inaccurate; it's too inaccurate for comfort.

Then again, I suppose that's a step forward from having no bearing on hand proportions at all. So it's still a somewhat helpful guide.

My question is, does anyone know where I can find great hand references/guides? Loomis' book is probably the best thing out there, but it doesn't hurt to ask my Psudan bros.
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 10:42 am

Back to top Go down
Loopy

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 7:03 am

oh no there not traced, but I mentioned in my first post that I used tutorials, I like them because I can get a feel for drawing the objects and proportions, but the chair is something I drew without anything, it's a chair in my house

oh and Edyrem, I know a few good hand tutorials on Youtube that show proportions and explain a lot, that is, if you're interested c:

oh and some good drawing books I found, that show some really good ways on how to draw your objects and some landscapes and such are:
-The Landscape Artist's Drawing Bible
-Walter Foster Perspective: Artists's Library Series
-The Art of Basic Drawing (this has everything, animals, people, landscapes, objects, plants, etc. etc.)

I also started using Corel Painter (finally) I think I like it more than photoshop, :P I think it's just the feel and everything, I find it more enjoyable to use

Anyways, I'll definitely be keeping up with this thread, can't wait for all the tutorials and things, it's a great idea, And I definitively want to man the fuck up and learn how to paint awesome :)
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 10:08 am

I see, then... you're quite good at drawing, Loopy, you're off to a good start, but you've still got a lot of things to discover ;)

Yeah link me these vids brah.

Also, if corel painter crashes too much for you or lags too much (which it's known to) then just go back to photoshop or another program.

In other news, I bought this stuff today:

At the moment, I suck enormous cocks at painting traditionally. But I'll figure this shit out...
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 9:10 pm

First night, was sleepy as I attempted my first oil painting experience. This canvas was going to be scarred for life, completely sacrificed for my experimental mistakes.

Needless to say, I've been completely out of my element with this and frustratedly made nothing worth looking at.

After waking up the next day and finding the right tips online, I became more comfortable with this medium. I think paints and I can get along real well in the future.

(2x) Before having any sort of grasp; (1x) After having some grasp:
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 1:09 am

I was in another forum and the subject was on motivation to get better. I figure you guys might be able to relate to my 2 cents on the matter:
Quote :
What motivates me in becoming a better artist is staying aware of how little skilled I am in the big picture. Comparing myself directly to artistic genius like Frank Frazetta or Da Vinci always keeps me grounded and eager to practice the fundamentals more. What works for me is remaining aware that I suck compared to what I really wanna be, so I'll never get an inflated ego that makes me think I don't need to train.

OP, I had your lazy slump for ~3 years in art/animation. I hit a strong plateau (or weak slope) because I never bothered to train or do challenging things. I had this idea that I already had shit figured out, so there was no point in getting my hands dirty when I obviously "knew" what the outcome would be. My ego has held me back so hard from becoming greater, but those years didn't go unnoticed. My regret is immense, and the lesson has been learned.

That lesson is worded ever so beautifully by Bruce Lee, and I take it to heart because I learned it firsthand:
"There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must always exceed his level."
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Part of my prescription is Bruce Lee philosophy pills. Powerful stuff.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 4:02 pm

Something to truly take to heart:
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 5:17 pm

^^^ Yes! Yes! This nig's mentality is beast. That's how you become one with the fucking craft. That's probably how beasts like DaVinci and Michelangelo developed so far despite having such limited resources back in their day. Old guys were hardcore. Combine our advantages with hardcore-ness and we too shall beast. ...I've been Becoming One occasionally...but not as often as this guy. Stepping up a notch.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Hitorio wrote:
^^^

2/10 for inaccuracy. Would not read again.
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 6:22 pm

I was thinking about editing that...
*Dons artist hat thingy and grows moustache*
but it adds an interesting flaw to the dynamics of that post's character.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 10:26 pm

plus it got me to reply, there and here. Unbelievable. I just realized that 2/10 is actually a 12/10. Well done, sly gentleman, well done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learning to paint.   Learning to paint. - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Learning to paint.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2