Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WIP doodle thingy

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom
Staff
Tom

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 5:35 pm

Some little thing i started on today, didnt do much with it so far, but the ideas i have for it seem fun enough to continue working on it.

http://www.truploader.com/view/906302

Edit:

http://www.truploader.com/view/194583 = Version 2!
I changed the first punch to be a follow up from a fake out, and I added the last part, which, obviously needs a transition from the previous ending part, the lifting happens suddenly as I havent worked on that transition yet.

remember, its a work in progress, so disappearing/ timing issues are sort of know, but feel free to comment on those things anyway!
cool

Last edited by Tom on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 8:34 pm

Oh, I'm impressed with the timing and flow of the blocked punch. Was very natural. Great job with the keying.
You must keep animating, I think you're getting somewhere with this.

If you were to fix anything it would be the arm. It seems you put the key pose of the arm really far when the big guy gets blocked.

WIP doodle thingy 616846untitled

Again, I love the animation. It's really nice. You MUST exert more of this quality so your portfolio shows more timing skills. You're improving, dude. But it only shows when you draw more frames.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 12:28 am

Thanks for the comments!

The reason behind the arm in that position is because he's getting pulled, which is kinda like a sudden movement, which means the arm swings back when the guy gets pulled forward..

Ill keep working on the anim as i have some neat little ideas for what will happen next!
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 4:59 am

WIP doodle thingy 713500untitled
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 2:57 am

How I wish I had a comeback-MS Paint-drawing... hahaha!

Good stuff bro!

I'll fix it when I get back home!
Any other suggestions on what should happen next?
Back to top Go down

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 3:25 pm

Wow thats epic stuff
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 7:39 pm

Edyrem's goin' Berserk, launching a flurry of images to augment the power of his posts!! Enemy down! He can take no more! Animation destroyed! It was critiqued to the point of no return! I don't think it'll be gettin' back up for a while..!

...this particular animation looks as if you formed both of their fighting stances, then started to think about what would happen. Unfortunately, this can get many of us stuck into a vortex of death in which the full animation was not pondered thoroughly. The result: the smooth but unnatural punch that was suctioned into the kid's arm.

If one were to assume that you meant for this animation to look exactly as it did, they may say:

"As the adult took a single step forward, the child used a suctioning ability to attract the adult's hand toward his own, thus creating an opening for an attack."
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 2:17 am

I must agree with Hitorio.

The way he approaches with his punch is as if he was pretending.
No, don't play the animation off as that; we don't want you quitting! Accept it as a mistake and animate more of it!
Maybe if his punch was moving more directly, then its course was thwarted, it would make more sense.

But realistic or not, it was executed smoothly and hardly anyone would notice it at first glance.
The only ones who will notice it are people who are focusing on how the animation could be better.

For now, I say it is a success in key-framing and timing, despite the unnatural elements in it.

Actually, in Tom's defense, it's not as unnatural as we make it out to be if we consider the 'un-drawn' frames of the little boy. You could imagine the boy already reaching and keeping the punch at bay. On the other hand, this coudl lead to the impracticality of reaching to deflect a punch in its motion, before it even enters your comfortable range of grasp.

@Hitorio...
I refuse to accept that it was critiqued to no return. There are numerous ambiguities in my arguments that are too much for me to cover in one post, and it would be appropriate to discuss it all in even more meticulous detail.
Have at it! Let's make the discussions and critiques as engaging as the animations themselves...
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 4:36 am

Edyrem wrote:

@Hitorio...
I refuse to accept that it was critiqued to no return. There are numerous ambiguities in my arguments that are too much for me to cover in one post, and it would be appropriate to discuss it all in even more meticulous detail.

...apparently there were ambiguities in my wording. :O

Disregarding the fact that you took my soccer announcer mode seriously, I'll say that "to no return" does not mean that you cannot go further. It only means that there's no turning back and returning to the point of no progress. It means that you can only go further and further from here on out.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 5:15 am

-_- I didn't take it seriously, I was just commenting (based on my misreading) on the 'to no return' expression. I had a moment of stupidity and mixed its meaning. xP
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Okay break it up kids, no fighting at the school playground or I'll go and tell on your moms!

/no sense of humor.

I already continued, and this punch now follows up from a fake-out punch, so now its like a small punch to lure the kid, then the real punch.
this way I can adjust the timing and make it look even better.
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm really excited to keep on animating!
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 4:05 pm

Updated first post. go check out the changes and additions!
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 9:19 pm

:S
Looks like you really had a hard time editing it into a natural look.
Nonetheless, experiencing this is a step forward.

I found the timing awkward when his real punch got blocked.

Also, you should change the very KEY of the loose arm. I know it's really tempting to just follow what you drew even after making a fundamental change to the motion, but sometimes you end up editing the animation to the point that you just have to reanimate like 50% of it.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 1:54 am

True, I actually only changed the frame where the arm is at the furthest point in the back, and moved it slightly forward. nothing else changed to that part.
My focus was more on the lifting part.
How did that look?
Back to top Go down
Haitam

Haitam

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 4:28 am

lifting part cc
- the last step (when he wants to lift the little dude)seemed very stiff ,
- and his body resised alot in that last pose.
- I would also put a frame of the arms going down a bit ,so it looks like the kid has a little weight to him.
- I like the swinging of his legs in the air though his upper body remaines extremly still when he does so (redraw his upper body,don't copy it).
I hope this helps . :D
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 6:21 am

The lifting part was my least favorite cause it doesn't look complete :( there are inbetweens missing.
G-war's advice is very legit, though.

Too much stiffness if you actually meant to animate that. The transition from the adult grabbing the second kid's arm to the lifting was so off imo. Do you want an illustration on what I'd do?
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 6:23 am

thanks for the coments guys, but that part, the transition into the lifting isnt done yet.. gonna add quite some frames there, lol
i have a habit of working in a non-linear way..

but feel free to give/ show me ideas on how to approach!
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 7:06 am

Well, non-linear progress in animation is generally how artists work anyway lol. So if anything, you ought to feel cool about it.

I'd ease into the lift action. By that I mean easing is heavier in the beginning, then the spacing is heavier in the middle of the motion, then slightly more easing as the motion stops, but not quite as much as the beginning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WIP doodle thingy Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP doodle thingy   WIP doodle thingy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WIP doodle thingy
Page 1 of 1