Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Got time to draw, but just not drawing?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Edyrem

Edyrem

Got time to draw, but just not drawing? Empty
PostSubject: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 10:19 am

Same here.
I think all this free time to draw is making me take the beautiful art of drawing... for granted. If I want to ever be a true artist, then this attitude just wont do!

I wrote this thread because I just had an epiphany... a suddenly different perspective.

I can say with confidence that if ever since I was little I was not allowed to draw, color, or animate... except for in the weekend... well, I wouldn't miss it for the world.

So, until I appreciate and re-acknowledge just how much I hunger for drawing, instead of just having an overdose of freedom to draw or not draw, then I'm going to restrict myself from using my tablet or do any paper doodling in the weekdays.

In fact, while I'm at it, I'm not allowed to look at cartoons or epic things such as:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td2UpH2VqP4&feature=player_embedded#at=228

That's a Psudan promise.

A personal challenge for myself so I can get my hunger back. So I'm officially, and explicitly restricting myself from the privilege of looking at and making art. And until I regain enough hunger to give me the patience to carve art, I will do things like this to myself.

However, I'll allow myself to critique the work of my fellow Psudans... I can't just starve the forum with me, can I?

Discuss what you think of this new resolution. Do you think it's a good idea or is there a better way in your opinion?

You might find this appalling or extreme, but what have I been doing really? Nothing but spreading myself thin - just shrinking my art tummy into something that can be fed fully by a little nibble every few hours.

No, someone like that just can't build Psuda into anything worthwhile, and I will not let that person be me! NEVER!!! :rage:
Back to top Go down
spiffy

spiffy

PostSubject: Re: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 12:35 pm

edy's got determination, yo.

sounds pretty effective to me. i know i'd get the hunger to draw after a short while if i tried that method. /takes note
Back to top Go down
http://mcspifferson.tumblr.com/
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 1:53 pm

oh god... I just did some pvp diablo 2... got trash talked by some 16 yearold chick who keeps going ^^

I'm so pissed off... animating doesn't do this. :( it's already tempting to animate. Gotta wait till Saturday-Sunday xD
Back to top Go down
Isaac

PostSubject: Re: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 2:38 pm

I would never be able to do that. My teachers are assholes and give me shit-tons of homework over the weekend.

You got pissed of because some 16 year old chick trash talked you? That would make me laugh.
Btw, you excited for diablo 3?
Back to top Go down
spiffy

spiffy

PostSubject: Re: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 3:54 pm

lol PVPers. i always get mobbed during groups.

N E WAY

boy you just started. you made a topic about it on your own forum, bro. you can never go back now.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 12:26 am

lmao I can't help but get pissed easily at this sorta stuff... I'm not proud of it, I don't like it one bit. I keep starting saying 'I'm not gonna let them get the best of me" but then I'm like 'FFFFUUUUU-' :rage:
I will adopt your laugh attitude

Yeah I'm so excited for diablo 3... I don't even... I don't even know what I'm going to do when I get it.

No, Spiffy, I cannot go back on my word :> that's why I did it here! So I can't just brush it off.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 12:17 am

/edit: lolwtf I accidentally posted an animation link when I meant to post this

Got time to draw, but just not drawing? 5i4jjgvn2_saturdayburst

Last edited by Edyrem on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Antriel

Antriel

PostSubject: Re: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 1:47 am

What you need is to change your day rhythm..
Our body&mind are lazy.. but they can adjust to any kind of conditions... what you need to do is getting into working mood... add some hype(caffeine, sugar, getting psyched up for project,...) and just work... recipe&tips:
1. wake up early, every day at the same time as much as possible
2. get enough of sleep
3. exercise regularly.. running is great (but quite tiring..), general stuff like push-ups, sit-ups.. whatever.. you know this stuff :) --> every second day... every first one.. some cardio as running or dance dance revolution or orbitrack... anything that will keep your heart rate at least over 150.. (depends on your body condition).. and do it for more than half an hour.. that is at least 45 minutes.. it gives nice effects.. will make you feel proud, happy and the main point is.. it will take away laziness
4. have papers and pens all around the places you are.. in the kitchen.. living room.. toiled.. whatever.. and anytime you feel like.. hey I got an idea.. draw it! whatever it is... be it game idea.. idea for our current game :P, some character anim.. whatever.. make notes.. this will keep your mind busy.. as in.. if your brain gives you an idea.. and you do nothing.. your brain will stop doing it.. you don't want that..
5. try not to eat too much.. as in try not to get into that state after big lunch where all you want to to lay back and do nothing/watch TV...

That's some quick tips out of my head for general laziness fighting.. now for being more productive:

1. make todolists!
You got a project.. decide on what has to be done.. in tasks.. delve them into subtasks.. and subsubtasks... so no tasks like --> draw super char animation.. but --> draw char anim(draw sketch, think out poses(running, walking, slashing,...), make sword(sketch, coloring, shading, ...)).. task(subtask).
2. reward yourself
Whenever you feel like not working... look at list.. and say.. this one task should only take around 20 minutes. I will do that one and then I will get myself a nice cup of tea with some anime episode.. yay..
3. try to organize whole project into tasks.. if you dunno exactly what tasks it should have.. leave one big that will be described later.. point is to write it all down so your brain doesn't have to think about it.. but can focus on solely one task.. it works
4. pick a task and work
When you pick a task you should be able to only focus at it.. and only work at it.. with no disturbance whatsoever.. this means that when you stop thinking about different part of your project.. your task list is bad...
5. look at your tasks in the morning.. make a schedule in your mind.. give out priorities.. this is called programming your mind.. you will set your mind to stuff you need to do.. and therefore it is easier to fight laziness..
6. at the end of the day.. look at task list.. and be happy that lot of stuff is done and lot of new exciting stuff to do was added.. and enjoy the system.. because it works.. and makes you better.. look toward future.. happy

for task list.. here's soft I use.. http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/todolist2.aspx

enjoy :) hope it helps.. and not just you but other folks too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 1:51 pm

I never had this problem after battling G-war
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 12:39 pm

Wow Antriel, that's one big chunk of tips :D
It all sounds really legit :P . I've actually started doing some jogging about a week or so ago. Endorphins are a helluva drug :D

Have you tried this stuff though? How's it working out??? Heck, what about you, reader!? Does anyone else have tasks that they do to stay focused ??? :S

That program seems awesome btw... *steals*
Back to top Go down
spiffy

spiffy

PostSubject: Re: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 4:24 pm

i usually get distracted on the computer a lot, so i'll set myself an alarm with onlineclock.net. i'll also split windows so that what i SHOULD be working on takes up most of the screen. same sorta concept IRL. get something obnoxious to distract me from the original distraction.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 12:28 am

Wow, cool gadget.
lol when I try that big/small window splitting it sorta works, but a lot of the time, the fun/unproductive thing that I should not be doing just has me using a small window for a long time. I might as well maximize it.
Back to top Go down
Antriel

Antriel

PostSubject: Re: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 3:31 am

I usually just work on that do-to list.. and I'm like.. ok I will finish this item.. then I will eat with some 20min episode of something.. then I will do this item.. and this item.. and have a snack with a tea.. and watch another..
As lazy as it seems (considering how small tasks should be mostly).. the effect is.. that after I see how much work I can actually do.. how number of tasks to do is getting smaller.. it motivates me.. and you get thoughts like.. hey I will also finish this small one.. hey I can mark this as finished.. yay.. gimme another.. yay this is fun.. I'm closing in.. I will just do these tasks and it's done..
And eventually.. you will find yourself less lazy and giving yourself more tasks.. why? Because your body got used to it.. get use to laziness.. you will be lazy.. fighting it by saying "ok today I will work for 8 hours" won't work.. you will just depress yourself.. and laziness level will be the same.. if not higher.. With this todolist way.. you are actually doing something (fighting laziness) and you get rewards (snacks, marking tasks as done,.. ) and eventually.. with enough motivation for the project.. you will easily get into 8 hours per day.. even more (depends on stress levels.. another thing that makes us lazy if we are under stress for too long)... if it project you really enjoy..
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 6:11 am

I like your thinking... I'll try this. After a few weeks I'll probably have a consistent thing going :D

In a few years I'd be a motherfucking machine :O !!!
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 2:30 pm

I guess it's pointless to continue the whole 'shackles' thing.

I'll try a to-do list 8D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got time to draw, but just not drawing?   Got time to draw, but just not drawing? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Got time to draw, but just not drawing?
Page 1 of 1