Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tablet Thread

Go down 
+5
Edyrem
Isaac
Jettzin
SethX
Hitorio
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 1:22 pm

<3 Me gusta.
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 4:11 pm

...and this is only what we have in 2011. cool

...that tech, right there...integrating traditional and digital. Could it be a tool that officially establishes the halfway point between traditional animators and net animators so that they can work on the same project in the same studio? There are many Disney traditional animators that basically said "Fuck computers; gtfo with that shit," so this beautiful device could be our peace treaty.
Back to top Go down
SethX

SethX

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 4:40 pm

whoa... that blew my mind. my brain is still telling me that its impossible.
Back to top Go down
Jettzin

Jettzin

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 8:44 am

i wonder if you can erase?
or can you draw over pencil sketches
i wonder
this is still the shit though
Back to top Go down
Isaac

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 9:07 am

I've always just taped paper to my tablet, and now there's this...
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 8:59 am

Holy shit, this is a remarkable concept.

I bet this is way cheaper than any of their tablets too. I mean, other than it being super new, it shouldn't be expensive, granted its tiny structure, but maybe they've got some really expensive hardware in crammed into it.

I'm very delighted to see this technology, but as it is right now I'm not sure if it's any better than a tablet. Maybe that's because the explanations left too much of it to the imagination, but I'm skeptical about some of its efficiency, regarding the erasing (how does one erase a pen mark?) and layering (if there's no color coding, how will you decipher how your layers are in complex drawings?).

Also, I don't understand how exactly it determines the size of the paper you use, and how accurately it traces your artwork.

All things considered, this new invention could be revolutionary. It's made me super hopeful for the future technology. If it takes off as much as I imagine, it will probably replace lots of tablets, but the priceless benefit with 100% digital tablets is the endless supply of "ink," drawing space, tool selection, and just the fluid compatibility with animating/modeling software.

It would be CRAZY interesting to see how the industries might build software around inkling technology, though...
Like Hitorio said, I expect this to impact traditional animators/illustrators even more dramatically than digital artists.
Back to top Go down
Jettzin

Jettzin

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 10:18 am

its around 199 on the website right now
im pretty sure you add a new layer and it just uses what you draw after pressing the button in that layer
if i understand the video correctly
yeah im really conerned with erasing as well :/
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 1:03 pm

I was thinking that, perhaps, the device at the top of the page projected holograms while absorbing the information fed to it by the pressure sensitive pen. The hologram aspect would explain the layer idea. Light projection, powerpoint-presentation style. Movie reel style.
Back to top Go down
De'Andre

De'Andre

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 7:36 pm

I need this badly, i sketch a lot in school, in the car ect and to have that be transferred to the computer to edit any type of way you wont is just amazing.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 11:15 pm

Well I would definitely get this over a printer, naw mean?
Back to top Go down
Malfunction

Malfunction

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 1:34 am

Lol. Not holograms. It's just sonar. You have the pen constantly emitting a sound (non-perceptible to the ear) which gets picked up by the little box thingy. Using the sound waves, it can tell where the pen is at all times. So you just draw (anywhere within the range of your box) and it'll constantly record the position of the pen.
And yeah, you just click the button and it makes everything you draw from that point onward a new layer.
It's a simple enough concept. Still impressive by any standards.
As for the erasing, you don't erase when drawing with pen anyway. What I'd do is do a sketch first with pencil where you can erase and such, then trace over it with the pen and get pretty vectors :D :D

Still want to see it in action.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 1:50 am

Waves, yeah, but I wonder if any animals can sense them... probably not anyway >.>

Its benefit is a little bit obscure in regards to having a layer function, because you can only apply the layer separation when you're done drawing.
I like your practical approach to the eraser thing, though. Looking at it that way gives a new level of meaning to tracing a drawing over. I definitely want that shit now xD
Back to top Go down
Haitam

Haitam

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 9:16 am

I have seen a similar product that uses the same sonar technology ,except turns your monitor into a tablet called "siso tablo ".
100 bucks ,came out a while ago,probably doesn't work as good as the wacom version or I would have heard more about it .
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 11:33 am

:l
I am noticing that wacom is like the apple corporation of these items, except it's actually much better than the competition
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Spoiler:

...and now for the most crucial question of all: Rechargeable...? Or Replaceable Battery?
Dun Dun Dunnn. It's really nothing that a Google can't tell ya, but I needed a placeholder so that I could have an excuse to lay out that spoiler above.
*Speed Googles*
The battery is rechargeable! Wacom is like the Wacom of the tablet world! Yes, I just simile'd it within itself because it is that worthy! After all, it is the blacksmith responsible for giving us warr-yers the tules of destruction that we've used to spread flames across the web.
Back to top Go down
Isaac

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 7:54 pm

...I have a mac.

I think I would want to wait until there is a clear erase function. I screw up way too much.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 3:30 am

It all sounds pretty awesome, although I keep wondering how much the refill cartridges with ink will cost.. that's where they'll start making a shitload of money.

Also, darkjesus, you seem to forget that this isnt a tablet, its a pen, which happens to have technology to transfer your ink to your pc.
Back to top Go down
Malfunction

Malfunction

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 7:02 am

Regarding ink cartridges, the main thing is the sonar really. You could just strap another pen to it and get basically the same results.

Wacom is more like the Adobe of the tablet world. They hold a monopoly on the industry mainly because they actually offer the only decent products.

As for that siso tablo, that looks really cool. Although I've heard it's quite imprecise. Not that it doesn't track the tip well... it does, but it's a bulky pen with a very large tip which you have to hold basically perpendicular to the screen to do precise things like clicking on small buttons or drawing in fine details. It'd be pretty good if you wanted a cheapish tablet-pc-like experience so you could zoom in close and do great big swishing lines, but it certainly can't replace a tablet, especially for due to the lack of pressure sensitivity.

Realistically, this product is nothing new, but I'm seriously hoping it'll improve on current technologies. The worst thing would be if it's imprecise or laggy or doesn't accurately capture the drawings for some reason and just ends up being an overpriced piece of junk.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 9:21 am

That's what I'm thinking; it should open the doorway to some mindblowing innovations in the coming years.

And if it's not a good tablet pc-ish experience, it's at least a great replacement for a doodler's scanner. I mean, come on, getting to vectorize your drawings? If you wanted to electrically transfer your flipbook animations you could trace each frame over again and trasnform them into manipulable frames in flash or something.

Also, it has pressure sensitivity. If you press your pen hard or lightly, it might not change much on the paper but it'll digitally transfer according to your pressure.
Back to top Go down

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 1:02 am

This is now the tablet thread people k?
K.

I wish I spoke Japanese.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tablet Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablet Thread   Tablet Thread I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tablet Thread
Page 1 of 1