Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Special effects: Water!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom
Staff
Tom

Special effects: Water! Empty
PostSubject: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 5:34 pm

So for animation college we had to think of homework to give ourselves, I decided to do something interesting for myself and set a challenge.
I wanted to animate special effects.

As I've only animated fireworks before, never water or fire, I decided that I was going to animate water and fire.
Today was the day I wanted to spend animating water, it took me 6 hours to do.
Here is the result:

http://www.truploader.com/view/224010

If you guys like it, let me know, I'll gladly put up a tutorial on how I made this. :D
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 6:15 pm

I gotta say, Tom, after seeing your progress before finishing it, the last waves really made the effect for me.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 6:17 pm

yeah they give the water more "weight", I quite like how it turned out!
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Precisely how I feel.
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Mm! After having been at the beach today and witnessing the beauty of water, this anim seems prettily coincidental...!
...the one on the right - strong.
...the one of the left - weaker.

The anim on the right: splash with side slope splashes. The splashes themselves - as two separate entities - were great. They did not link to each other well, though. Your first splash seems too vertical to cause the water to rush up the sides so intensely. It seems as if, when the first splash hit the water, it unnaturally raced horizontally across the surface to make the second splash possible. Instead, how about a more horizontal first splash that links the two more awesomely? I licked the gradient with all of my taste buds and enjoyed it, bai da wei.

The drop on the left started strongly...but fucked itself in the mouth when it spread horizontally. I guess that's when you decided to drop your sword against the opponent.

You look like you have a smecksy understanding of the general movement of casual water, though. Want to delve into atmospheric skills?
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 7:54 pm

^

I am impressed by Tom's development. Hell, seeing the sheer development of people here is so delightful. Making me believe things I didn't think were possible before.
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 8:54 pm

Edyrem wrote:
[...] Making me believe things I didn't think were possible before.

...I thought you assured me, a year or so ago, that your eyes were ones that looked toward the future. I tend to imagine a Psuda in which everyone here is a veteran animator and envision such animations accordingly. It. Is. Epic.
...Tom's development, mm? I seemingly haven't sensed it to a noticable degree relating to the things shown here... mainly because.... I haven't seen you do FX before besides your fireworks, Tom!
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 5:02 am

Hitorio, thanks for the comment on my animation!

The water on the left is what I started out animating, just to get a small grasp of the concept of animating water.
I just checked the shape of water, how it moves around, stuff like that.
This drop was only a little test for the real thing.

The waves arent mainly caused by the splashing water, but by the stone dropped in the water, which has quite a bit of mass, but maybe I slightly overdid that effect.

And about my development, How about just looking at the principles of animation and how I applied those, have I improved then?

And, you're right, the only effects animation I have done in the past is the fireworks animation, so it's hard to base your opinion on that.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 8:07 am

Hitorio wrote:
Edyrem wrote:
[...] Making me believe things I didn't think were possible before.

...I thought you assured me, a year or so ago, that your eyes were ones that looked toward the future. I tend to imagine a Psuda in which everyone here is a veteran animator and envision such animations accordingly. It. Is. Epic .[...]

I always had faith in Psudans, but the faith you have before results happen and the faith you have after seeing results is incomparable.
Admittedly, I never literally fantasized about many of us being masters of animation, but I was never pessimistic about our potential. And recently noticing the development of some Psudans in just over a year, I can say I genuinely believe the majority of us (me, you, Tom, Aku, Touma, Haitam, Flax; just off the top of my head) will reach an elite caliber in animation. I believe so with certainty.

I gotta say I'm impressed with you, though. Cultivating such optimism on a regular basis? I feel guilty for not making that mental practice.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Special effects: Fire!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 3:07 pm

As part of the assignment I had given myself, animating fire for the first time was part of the plan too, scheduled for today.
Here's the result!

http://www.truploader.com/view/218693

P.s. I added the water effects animation as well, just to fill the screen a bit!

Tell me what you guys think!
Back to top Go down
Isaac

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 3:34 pm

Those effects are awesome. My only problem with them are the transparent lines. They feel too organized, and kind of distract me from the rest of the effect. I really like the middle water, and the wave after the splash.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 3:46 pm

transparant lines are just caused by me sketching the fills,
I like the sketchiness, but I guess everybody likes other stuff.
any other tips?
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Could you put these in the same thread bro?

You're doing great in this assignment. Is there anything else left in your homework? I wouldn't think there is.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 6:02 pm

I still want to animate explosions and smoke, but those subjects arent part of this homework.

Also, feel free to merge the topics. Im on my phone now..
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 6:46 pm

...and the wave of Hitorio's hand spurred the threads to crash into one another like rippling titties and plump ass cheeks. *Sploooosh*

...that fire was pretty. Somewhat inaccurate, but pretty. By inaccurate, I mean that it doesn't look as if it's rising, but it looks as if it is dancing...somewhat like a consistent solid.

Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 6:48 pm

Dude sweet find... not sure if I've seen this before, but I reckon this calls for a real life elements reference thread.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 12:39 pm

I wish more people would comment on my animation, I can really use the comments!
Back to top Go down
Neon

Neon

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:10 pm

tbh, I don't really like the sketchy look of the effects, but if thats what you were going for then ok.
um, for the splash dropping into a pool of water, the initial splash looked a little strange, it got a little to wide to fast, you should make it shoot up, theeeen spread out. The fires doesn't look bad, but you should like, fill it in, instead of sketchmarks.

but if you WERE going for that style, or this was just something quick, then thats cool.
lol ima noob.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:16 pm

TBH, comments about the style preference aren't really that useful, I'm more looking for comments on the animation itself.

Also, as far as I know, the angle of a splash depends on the shape and angle of the object that hits the water, in this case, the stone pushes the water slightly outwards as well.

To me, it seems that water can't move to the side this much if the water splashes too much upwards without going to the side, because there's no external force pushing the water to the side.

the fire took me about 3 hours to animate, btw.
The water took me a couple of hours longer.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 9:59 pm

I gotta echo the sketchy fill-in thing though; the fire looks like a flat 2d drawing when you do fill it that way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Special effects: Water!   Special effects: Water! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Special effects: Water!
Page 1 of 1