Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Runjump thing

Go down 
+3
Tom
Creativename
Jettzin
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jettzin

Jettzin

Runjump thing Empty
PostSubject: Runjump thing   Runjump thing I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 5:50 pm

http://www.truploader.com/view/294517
havent made anything in a while so i was like:
Runjump thing Combo-10
Theres something up with the run
maybe its the posing or spacing, ive never been good at either
tips?
Back to top Go down
Creativename

Creativename

Runjump thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runjump thing   Runjump thing I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 10:18 pm

The part where he springs off is problematic, and needs to be changed a lot.

Lower your framerate. I really don't have the power to influence you. I can't do it, even if I sing golden formulas that are correct and that would lead you to creating renowned masterpieces, I don't have the power to influence you. I demand that you lower your framerate.

EDIT: "Frames per second" might be a more universal phrase than "framerate." I meant them synonymously.

Last edited by Creativename on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

Runjump thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runjump thing   Runjump thing I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 2:37 am

why on earth would you lower framerate? getting used to animating at a different framerate every time makes no sense at all, just doubleframe that schitt if you really need to change the timing.

or simply redo the part that is flawed.
Back to top Go down
Malfunction

Malfunction

Runjump thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runjump thing   Runjump thing I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 6:00 am

Yeah it's definitely that single frame where his legs are first both off the ground. He needs to extend his back leg more.
Also, as a personal preference, I'd add an extra frame there for a bit more hang time. I always like to see momentum in movement, which you can do with lots of easing in and out of motions. Some people don't like that look though.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Runjump thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runjump thing   Runjump thing I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 2:36 pm

I agree/disagree with both Tom and CN here...

I think you should lower your framerate, but I want to be a little more specific. Don't just lower it to something slightly less. No, cut it in half or keep it the same. Like Tom said, you'd have to re-adjust yourself to a new timing if you use some random new framerate, but here's the thing... you keep the framerate in multiples of itself, (i.e. switching between 12 and 24) and you get to use a different framerate without actually readjusting yourself to a new speed, because it's like the difference between a single and a double frame.

So yeah, I say halve this framerate because that shit's going way too fast. My eyes seeing multiple frames at the same time. You're not drawing enough frames for that framerate. So put it down a notch until you're ready to draw twice as many frames. Don't try to fit onto something that goes too fast until you feel like going in and filling more inbetweens.
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

Runjump thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runjump thing   Runjump thing I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 4:35 pm

The fuck, Edyrem? Is double-framing completely out of the question or something? O.O

===

Jettzin. You got fucking exponentially better since the last anim I've seen from you. Did you focus more or did your skill just increase?
...this particular anim looks like De8's old stuff. >: D
[/Relatively Late since I wanted to say this days ago]
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

Runjump thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runjump thing   Runjump thing I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 4:51 pm

Edyrem, Hitorio's right on this one, double-framing is the way to go on this one, simply for the fact that if you still want to add frames later on, to smooth things out, you can actually do that, if you lower the framerate, you're fucked if you think it just needs one or 2 frames here and there to make it look better. by lowering framerate, you cant just add a single frame in there, because it counts as 2 frames instantly, going by 12 fps if your original idea was 24 fps.
Back to top Go down
Jettzin

Jettzin

Runjump thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runjump thing   Runjump thing I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Well to answer that one Hito
i focused on it more and had set goal and idea of what i wanted it to look like
i also have gotten better at drawing in general/tweaking around with flash since i last posted
@ Edyrem/Tom
i tried double framing but it just didnt look right at all
i still have a vague sense of timing so i'll just learn to get used to 24 fps since i like that one better than 12 and because i'm okay with having to draw twice as much
any tips on fixing the timing without change switching frame rate?
Back to top Go down
Jones

Jones

Runjump thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runjump thing   Runjump thing I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 6:51 pm

If we're thinking of the same thing when you say timing, then it can be really hard to fix sumtimes.
Id suggest adding frames in certain places and seeing what happens. Also you can try to equally space the drawn character from the onion skin in all the frames during the jump and see what happens. It cant hurt to try and it is important for you to solve problem this since its more of a problem with animation that actually drawing.

I think that you shouldn't make him bend down that much or slow down that much before the jump. If you were to slow down that much while running and then jump you wouldn't fly as far as he did and you'd probably reach a higher height. If you really look at the animation you see that he moves just as fast in the air after jumping as he was running if not faster. That wouldn't be the case because of his slowing down some and crouch.

Double/Triple frame the landing, so that it last longer please.
Back to top Go down
Creativename

Creativename

Runjump thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runjump thing   Runjump thing I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:39 pm

Double-framing is a waste of your time. Edyrem is completely correct about halving the framerate.

Animating at 12 fps will teach you to add details and emphasis by using skill and technique. Animating at 24 fps will teach you to add details by using hard work. The skills that you learn from animating in 12 or lower fps will develop faster, and be more valuable than those from animating at higher rates. I really like seeing things at a minimum of 12 fps, because lower framerates can look incomplete. But animating at higher than that for the sake of practice, or any time when you weren't being paid, is probably foolish.

I don't see anything that would go wrong with this animation in particular if the framerate was halved.

In unrelated advice, Jettzin, one possible cure for your jump could be solving the issue of your character's head kind of hovering in front of his body. Right before the jump, it might help if the boy swings his lower body forward. He could make more of a collapsing-into-crouch movement, for his jump. See what I mean? And then his jump could extend further to the right, to make up for his added springyness.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Runjump thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runjump thing   Runjump thing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:48 pm

CN wrote:
Animating at 12 fps will teach you to add details and emphasis by using skill and technique. Animating at 24 fps will teach you to add details by using hard work. The skills that you learn from animating in 12 or lower fps will develop faster, and be more valuable than those from animating at higher rates.
I mostly agree with this nowadays... Granted, I developed as an 18fps animator. Always felt like my framerates were on the faster side. I even had a phase with 30 fps. Now I'm settling on 12/24. But yeah, you can animate perfectly fine with 12 fps and learn the fundamentals of animating and distributing spacing, and therefore you would be more wise to practice on those lower framerates, unless you were doing 24fps specifically for the purpose of being able to micro-inbetween. Otherwise, 12fps is a better use of your time. It is definitely more useful than high fps for learning the true meat of animating, because the quality of the movement is still clear, and you can learn the same lessons, and you get to make twice as much animation (theoretically).

If I could go back in time and talk to my younger self, I would have advised myself to use 12fps to do most of my shit with.

12fps is not a slideshow; it expresses fluid motion perfectly well, as I've come to discover. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not trying to side with 12 or 24 or whatever. I see animations now as just storyboards/animatics with enough drawings in between to make a believable motion. Therefore, I don't see 12 frames per second as 'the slowest' thing, because I've come to realize that the line between animatic and animation is extremely fuzzy. I'm saying that animatics can be considered animations by the time they reach extremely low fps. Imagine 3fps. 6fps is also an animation. In essence, you could get philosophical and argue that a storyboard can be considered an animation. And I truly hold that stance, somewhat.

This all means that 24 may be the industry default, but it's a very subjective default after all. Think about this from your own blank perspective and I think you'll come to a similar conclusion as me. That conclusion is:
Every extra frame per second you use in excess of 12 on your casual animations is more masturbation of your idealistic cock.

@Tom/Hito
When your animation looks better if you double frame all of it, you might as well save yourself the trouble and lower the framerate. It's really not a big deal though, do whatever you prefer. Personally, if I think the current animation will be slow-framed, I'll change the framerate right off the bat. So I can't 'single frame' some parts, what's the big deal? If I planned on double framing everything to begin with, then it's probably either a budgetted animation or for fun. But if you find single framing some parts to be part of the fun, then I can clearly understand why you'd opt for high fps.

@Jett
Rather than give you more incentive to edit the same rough animation, you'd do better to just draw a new one. This time I recommend you start with 2-3 main drawings to express the whole animation. And you put a couple more between those, and then time them accordingly. There, make sure you have the feeling of impact and all that jazz. Then inbetween it more thoroughly :)
I find this style to be really intuitive and convenient. Just so simplifying.

But anyway, if I were to fix your animation, I'd start with adding more time exposure to certain frames (i.e. doubling/tripling/quad-penta-quintupling frames) and play with the timing of the movement. Changing frame exposure is a more efficient way to gauge the timing rather than making yourself redraw every fucking new frame while not being clear on the big picture of the motion. Don't animate in the dark, bro. Illuminate the field then play ball.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Runjump thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runjump thing   Runjump thing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Runjump thing
Page 1 of 1