Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Colored Hand

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Isaac

Colored Hand Empty
PostSubject: Colored Hand   Colored Hand I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 3:02 pm

This was my first attempt at using colored pencils artistically. I drew the line work in pencil fairly quickly, and I realize the thumb/index finger outline is off. This was mostly just to test out the prismacolor pencils i got with christmas money. Also, try to ignore that blue spot, it was there before I started the hand from testing the pencils, and I thought the hand was going to be a lot quicker.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

Colored Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colored Hand   Colored Hand I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 6:11 pm

Nice!
Judgin' from how you shade, it looks like you know how to apply depth. You already know how to fix the thumb and index, from what I'm reading.

Hmm...if I were you I may have thrown a little shading into the palm.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Colored Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colored Hand   Colored Hand I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 9:07 pm

Darkjesus <3 oh, you make me happy, you do.

Beautiful shading on the fingers, it looks like the ring fingertip has a little bit of a lack of form at the nail area... is that because you chose not to shade in the nail? If so, I understand from that perspective.

The shading of the finger joints bending, especially in the ring finger, are very accurate and satisfying in their tone.

I disagree with Hitorio saying the shading on the palm is off. Rather, I think there was a lack of palm markings on it. It seems like either that hand has a very unusually smooth palm or you neglected some of the palm pattern. I did notice that you used the absense of shading to create a highlight. Very good, my friend, very good. :)

A+ in my book.
Back to top Go down
Isaac

Colored Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colored Hand   Colored Hand I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 9:22 pm

From the image I was looking at the palm was the brightest part (probably from the flash). And I was lacking a lot of palm markings. I was struggling in making them subtle enough, so I just drew the very obvious ones. And I didn't see a nail on the ring finger, so I didn't draw one. I believe it was just on top of the finger. The ring finger was coming straight forward on the 3rd section.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Colored Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colored Hand   Colored Hand I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Yeah, what are you gonna do? :D lots of funny angles happen like that in an artist's life adventure.

Yeah I totally figured you were just leaving the nail area un-drawn because you didn't have any color or tool that would be appropriate to draw the nail with in comparison to the hand.

Any chance we can see the hand?
Back to top Go down
Isaac

Colored Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colored Hand   Colored Hand I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 8:46 am

Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Colored Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colored Hand   Colored Hand I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 9:46 am

Ah, I can understand what you mean with the plain-looking palm. But remember, you have to be like Inception when you're an artist and always look DEEPER... because when you think you see a certain something extra that you can do in your details, I can guarantee that you're not imagining things.

I mean, just think; this palm obviously is a palm, even though its details are subtle. Yet somehow those subtleties, despite a naive artist's generalizations, can dramatically influence the familiarity in an object that people never even knew existed.
Back to top Go down
Isaac

Colored Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colored Hand   Colored Hand I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 10:08 am

Well I could see the subtle markings, and knew they were there, but I wasn't sure how I could make them small enough that they didn't look out of place and incorrect.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Colored Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colored Hand   Colored Hand I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 10:59 am

I hear ya :)
Half the growth of an artist is in being aware of the details anyway. The other half is experiencing how to carve them out subtly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Colored Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colored Hand   Colored Hand I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Colored Hand
Page 1 of 1