Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Character sheet assignment for animation college

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom
Staff
Tom

Character sheet assignment for animation college Empty
PostSubject: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:45 am

So I've been working on a character design for a bit and this is what I came up with:

Character sheet assignment for animation college 800075CharactersheetLineartsmallerversionJPG
Tell what you think about it!
Ofcourse, it still needs coloring, but that's a step I will take next.
I first ave to contact that college to see if they allow digital stuff for the assignment.
If not, I have to trace it first and then color it.
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

PostSubject: Re: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 12:59 pm

If I wanted to impress an animation college that I was applying to, I'd include much more detail/realism in the character designs and have the proportions match from front to back. The hat doesn't show your reviewers that you understand how angles can change its image. The top and rim of the hat bug me.
The face's features don't really allow you to link the two as the same person when the angles change. It's mainly the nose and the eyes that don't match. In a cartoony char design sheet, changing the shape of the eyes with dissonant realisticness just might fuch up the rest of the image. For the nose, I'd define the two knobs on the side of the center-nose-part-thingie.

...udderdendat, aye applaud you.
Back to top Go down
Haitam

Haitam

PostSubject: Re: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 2:18 pm

it looks pretty nice.
the proportion don't seem right though,
his fingers are drawn as if they stick together,and the finger proportions aren't right.
his right shoulder is longer than his left.funny thing is you did that with both the front and back view !
his cloak/jacket bends to one direction,is it windy ?idk it seems weird.
and like hitorio said ,I would go with more detail.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 4:36 pm

I changed his proportions a bit for a cartoony feel.

I kept the shoulder the same size, didn't edit it too much,
The reason its the same for front and back is because the back view is simply a flipped copy of the front view, only changed the inside lines to make it look like a back view.

I changed his costume flaps at the back to just hang down like regular clothes do without any outside force pushing against them. looks better now, so thanks!

detail + cartoony = hard to get right, so I kept it like this.
I kinda like the stylized look it has in the final design, I might upload it some other time!
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 6:27 pm

Looking forward to seeing it :)

As I said in msn, pretend you're sculpting a 3d model of this character; how are you going to make it so that it's a consistent shape?

3-Dimensional depiction of a classic anime face:
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 6:34 pm

wow those ears are really far back..
and yes, i'll upload tomorrow. the color pencil version, that is.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Yes, it's amazing just what it means to draw in certain cartoony styles...

You find unexpected disproportions when you don't follow exact, realistic measurements.

But if you're gonna be at all honest with yourself, you'll admit that your character, in his cartooniness, has surprising disproportions that you might not notice yet, and that it doesn't mater as long as it's consistent. :)
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 6:48 pm

all of the wrong proportions are on purpose, and like you stated, as long as im consistent, it doesnt matter.
althought it would be fun stretching and squashing with his proportions, changing them constantly in a loop hehe.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 6:51 pm

When would you change his proportions?
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 6:53 pm

any time i want.
i'd like to create a cycle of a character which is just so randomly fucked up.. like make his limbs all wobbly and stretchy constantly, making him bounce by stretching and contractibng his legs, and shit like that.. but then in a fun way, timing wise.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 7:08 pm

Personally I'd only squash/stretch the character during some bounce, and I wouldn't stretch or squish it for too long.

Still, I haven't thought about every possible way to do it :)
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 7:10 pm

I wanna fuck the character up, to the point that you think: what havei been watching ?!
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Personally I'd only squash/stretch the character during some bounce, and I wouldn't stretch or squish it for too long.

Still, I haven't thought about every possible way to do it :)
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 5:09 am

You don't think it would be fun just to screw with all of the character in a way you NEVER EVER would ?
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 6:23 pm

I don't know, it just doesn't seem like my kind of style to fuck with the character's body to that degree.

You know of any youtube clips you could post to demonstrate? Perhaps google images?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Character sheet assignment for animation college   Character sheet assignment for animation college I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Character sheet assignment for animation college
Page 1 of 1