Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Painting timeline

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 7:43 pm

These are all my digital paintings, I've been working hard on painting in photoshop and I finally was able to figure it out, they are ordered oldest first newest last.

this was 4 months ago.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

this was today.
Spoiler:

It wasn't till today i made a painting I was proud of that's why I haven't been animating and posting on psuda.
Still much to learn like textures and stuff, the saga continues
Back to top Go down
Isaac

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 7:47 pm

Nice! I love the improvement. Nothing really to critique on yet for the new one since it's still in progress, but it looks good so far. Really good actually.
Back to top Go down

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 7:49 pm

Oh it's done, I don't plan to finish it. I was testing a lot of stuff I don't fully understand yet and ended up making too many layers and masks and stuff so I', just going to leave it
Back to top Go down
Isaac

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 7:55 pm

Oh, well the hair and face look great, the rendering is very detailed and smooth.
Back to top Go down

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks homie.
Back to top Go down
Haitam

Haitam

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 1:28 pm

that looks great ! you just gave me inspiration <3
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 6:08 am

Oh DUDE! I was looking at the pictures from first to last and I got shocked by the last one :D
You ought to constantly flex this level of artistry :)
I think your battle vs hitorio is going to be VERY interesting... so far as I see, you're the better one at coloring. Hitorio's a little better at actual sketching/anatomy though. We'll see who the winning animator is though :P

Can I see the ref pic for the recent portrait?
Back to top Go down

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 7:13 am

Painting timeline 254531_226905013986709_100000016370614_1000461_5336658_n

You forgot to mention I'm a bit more fluid than Hitorio :P but I'm not so sure I'm better at coloring, I took all the colors from the reference. exept for the mid tones.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 7:29 am

Oh... you picked the colors right out of the reference...? Ouch... you don't wanna do that... you wont gain shit from that...
Did you also trace it? If so, you just might have sufficiently learned as little as humanly possible from painting portraits.
Anyway, she's less asian-looking than she did in the painting. But where and when was that picture taken? A 3rd world country in 1990?

Yeah you're more fluid than hitorio. But I learned not to be so quick to judge after talking to hitorio about the definition of a good animation.
Back to top Go down

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 7:32 am

I didn't trace :C and yea I took the base color and the darkest dark from the painting.
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 7:45 am

Interesting insights.
I was also under the mistaken impression that those weren't referenced. :P Since that's the case, I don't actually know your creative skill in painting as opposed to referencing skill. I haven't painted in a while either. We'll get up on that someday.

Yo, De8! Your fluidity doesn't belong in that list of Edyrem's. He was stating the qualities that we had over each other that were better. It sounds like you think that fluidity equals higher quality. Is that part of your confidence in winning this upcoming battle? Is fluidity your primary weapon?
(Don't answer that; I don't wanna get spoiled. Lawl.)
Back to top Go down

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 7:47 am

No, it's just the only reason edy doesn't consider you better than him, or I was under that impression.
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 8:09 am

I'm not sure whether his tastes guide him in that direction or not, but he told me that his feeling that he was better than I stemmed from his notion that he was a little better than I at drawing...and that he felt that this leaked over to animation in the form of our base skills. I am under the impression that he considers us somewhat separate in that basic sense: ability to convey what we want in animation through anatomic and physical understanding.
If the reason is different, Edyrem, clarify, ploxxors.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 8:19 am

De8, darkest dark of a painting, seriously did you get that from somewhere or is it your own idea, cause if it's your assumption then I'll leave you to it but if it's researched well and advised by pros then I might pick up that habit. Also would want your source if you did find it from somewhere else.

Pretty cool, de8, at least you drew the face legit. :P Hitorio, there ain't nothing wrong with looking at what you're drawing as opposed to from-imagination drawing. Non-reference drawing spurs creativity while reference compels you to see differently.

And hito, as far as fluidity goes, it USUALLY improves an animation. However, there is the minority that has a taste for 'visible frames,' for lack of a better word. It's double and triple framing to express the slowness, elasticity, tension, or even speed, in an unorthodox yet adequate manner.
Of course, this style requires careful use because if the poses and timing aren't handled delicately enough, the animation can easily look like a disconnected slideshow of spastic imagery. Likewise, animations with a lot of fluidity, when not crafted carefully, can have utterly no contrast or life to it.

/e: I'm not opening that pandora's box.
I don't think about myself in comparison to other artists in terms of rank, as in who is superior or inferior. It's proven itself to be a hectic, immature and unproductive way to think. So I never like to think "better" or "worse" when I'm thinking to myself. The only time I use that manner of comparison is in word form to my fellow artists without looking like an overly-philosophical douche.

Last edited by Edyrem on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 8:21 am

In painting I read somewhere you draw the base color then the darkest dark then you add the light source and work it out (the lighting) I wont reference colors next time I didn't know it was that important for them to be original :P
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 8:25 am

Haha very good, then. :D Same happened to me actually.
I think I'll look into that dark thing in ze googlez...
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 8:28 am

Edyrem wrote:
Hitorio, there ain't nothing wrong with looking at what you're drawing as opposed to from-imagination drawing. Non-reference drawing spurs creativity while reference compels you to see differently.

Yeah, I know. Never implied that anything was wrong. I merely separated them in terms of classification.

Also, you never responded to my last post.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 8:44 am

cool nice
Read the edit:
Quote :
/e: I'm not opening that pandora's box.
I don't think about myself in comparison to other artists in terms of rank, as in who is superior or inferior. It's proven itself to be a hectic, immature and unproductive way to think. So I never like to think "better" or "worse" when I'm thinking to myself. The only time I use that manner of comparison is in word form to my fellow artists without looking like an overly-philosophical douche.
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 8:57 am

*nods* Then the box'll be discarded. I must point out, though:
Edyrem wrote:
It's proven itself to be a hectic, immature and unproductive way to think.
...that is a highly subjective statement that applies only to minds of certain types. I completely contradicted all three of those adjectives in my first three years of drawing and my first three years of animation. Since you used the words "hectic" and "immature", you probably envisioned a token artist who is enervated by jealousy, impatience, and lack of focus. Nah. Having a sharp, patient artistic persona that is elevated by competition and the desire to improve oneself is pretty productive, especially in the competitive artistic professional industries. Having a mentality that compared my skills to my peers in order to surpass them is what actually made me surpass them. I remember looking up to people at Newgrounds, wanting to be as good. Well.... ;D
...not to say that comparisons are what fully drives me. Nah. I keep that in check enough to maintain stability.

Every runner at my school ran their fastest when they had a competitor beside them vs when they sprinted solo, didja know?
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 9:16 am

Well-made point, I admit. In fact, having a competitive feeling is the most amazing thing when the opponent is very close in caliber to you; it's like having a marked goal that fights to stay above you. However when you've got a lot of your self-worth riding on competition, you're playing dice with your confidence. And when you feel an urgent impulse to be better than your immediate opponent, what if you peeked through the looking glass and saw the scores of talent far beyond you or your friend? Suddenly their existence could make you feel obsolete if you translate the same feelings about your opponent to them. Jealousy without drive is discouragement. But drive without jealousy is fulfillment.
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 4:05 pm

I forgot to mention an important point of mine as far as our convo about fluidity vs limited movement and spasmodism goes.
When I mentioned triple and double frames, I was purely talking about fight scenes. I'm actually quite avid for fluidity in scenes of every day life. I'd like to get the best of both worlds on this one. My preference is a casual scene charged with full realism to display authentic life-like senses to the viewer so that they know that they aren't watching some bullshit-looking character. It's part of the formula for character-to-viewer connection. When it comes to fights, though, depending on the series, I definitely like to add the flashy sparkly choreo.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 4:07 pm

That's a solid balance imo. Well done, hitorio.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Painting timeline Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting timeline   Painting timeline I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painting timeline
Page 1 of 1