Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Flax

I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O Empty
PostSubject: I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O   I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 8:33 am

hey guy's I haven't been very active or animating for a while because of work and stuff, but now I'm going to make a huge come back as I've been selected at work to take part in a big competition :)
I thought I'd start by telling you guys about it, basically I'm going to make a 5 minute animation at a professional level alone (well try to) and it has to be completely finished by august, the only rule I have to follow for this competition is, the animation should be under the rating 15, that's all. The only problem with that being the only rule is...
its hard to come up with an idea I know will be better than other entries, so as I was born in psuda I thought I'd ask my family (you guys) for some opinions and help :)
here are some of my ideas below, and any other idea's you guys have or anything you think would be good to add will be much appreciated, baring in mind this is going to be shown to a big audience on a cinema screen, I'm pretty nervous and wanna get started asap.
Spoiler:

All my ideas are above and I would be happy for any help : ;D
Back to top Go down
Jones

Jones

PostSubject: Re: I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O   I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 9:01 pm

Ok. First of all, it was fun to ready your ideas, as I love to imagine ish.
Second of all, I'm glad your asking for insight from this community. !Go PSUDA!
Before I start talking about ideas specifically I wanna say these things that I hope you are thinking about beforehand:
- With the idea you choose consider how easily or long it will take to let the viewer understand whats going on. If the idea needs a characters to explain it, then your gonna want to know how long its gonna take. People get bored easily. Speaking for myself I hate when an animation has too much small talk. Remember that people like to figure out and visually see whats going on. OR at the start of the animation you could just tell what needs to be told. I like it when you can get a sense of what could happen with what your about to watch.
- Secondly, when you have your idea you should make an ordered list of events, so that you have something to keep track. You can also change stuff if you want, so doing this shouldn't hurt you(although problems can arouse).
- When you have your events, try and picture what scenes should look like and draw sketches of what you see. If you have something really hot in your mind, you don't want to lose it the next week. It is going to be a big project after all.

Ok.
Idea 1: Fucking Tons of great possibilities.
I think you could be a little more free with the idea. Its not only fighting that is great jaw dropping animation, we just like it a lot lol. + There are other situations that can bebuilt on and still lead to fights. For instance, you could have something where the human was always obsessed with gods and demons. He/she knew for herself that gods were on the Earth. But how do you know who or even what is a god? Can you even see one? Yadayadayaa. She finally confronts one and grabs her, taking some of her powers. Realizing that that he himself (the human) is actually a devil. Of course gods don't like demons and I'm sure you can guess what happens next? MIght be corny, since your not in my brain but w/e. -_-

I mean you do what you want of course, just try and be unique with the idea.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O   I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 4:52 am

Before telling you which idea I like the most, here's something you have to think about.

5 minutes is SERIOUSLY long, for the amount of time you have.
There have been graduates at my college that have taken 8 months to complete a 3 minute animation, and you have to almost double the lenght in 3 months less than them.

Think about what animation style is required for each idea, if it's achievable, and how much detail you want to put into these anims.
Does the amount of detail require a certain framerate? if so, do you have the time for that?

As Mr. Jones already mentioned, animation is more than just fight scenes.
Especially for a 5 minute animation, shit gets boring to watch at some point, so try to think of something other than fight scenes to make your anim look interesting and keep the viewer interested.

That said, I like idea 7 the most.
Back to top Go down
Flax

PostSubject: Re: I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O   I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 5:28 am

@mr jones. Thank you I'll try and do that, with sketching out characters, backgrounds and scenes in my mind, whenever I get a chance to and I know, I'm trying to find a good balance of fight scenes and just well animated cinematic's and such because I have no voice actors and writing a script and lip syncing adds a lot more time to the process.
And I like your idea about the human being a demon really, that could work, would explain why they would be able to fight a God, I'll think about that and try to develop on it.

@Tom. I know it's very long, i might aim for 3, that 5 minute target is like the maximum I will go for, and i don't really know what animation style would be good but i'll start thinking about that now and making a few tests in different styles, see which one suits it most and the fight scene thing I understand, i'm gonna try come up with more ideas more like idea 7, which im glad you liked, didn't think anyone would really pay attention to that one.

thanks guys :3
Back to top Go down
Jones

Jones

PostSubject: Re: I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O   I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 2:10 pm

About the time that you have to complete this, dont sweat yourself. See how far you get and how long it took you, then pace yourself from there. Id say not to spend too much time on detailing backgrounds and stuff, since they'd have to change if you decide to change the angle or view of something that was teh main focus.

Flax wrote:

And I like your idea about the human being a demon really, that could work, would explain why they would be able to fight a God, I'll think about that and try to develop on it.
Cool. Remember to keep your mind open like, for example, When I said how do you know who or even what is a god? You could do something funny with this. The human becomes paranoid at some point and starts looking around frantically at random shit like toothpaste, rocks, small animals.(If you do do this funny part: You could do a bit of foreshadowing if the human is indeed a demon. After the human is done looking around, he/she looks at a mirror or sees a reflection or himself. All sound stops or dark music begins and in the reflection a picture of a demon appears.) A scene like that could easily be made hot with not one punch thrown lol. If you happen to make the crowd laugh, that means the idea went across clearly. And if you made them laugh, then you know you kept their attention.
Just trying to help with ideas. Up to you to decide. ;P

Flax wrote:

I'm trying to find a good balance of fight scenes and just well animated cinematic's.

I dont think that'll be too hard. Cause allmost anything IMO can be hot if its animated well. Just focus on movements+angles and add details to them.
Back to top Go down
Flax

PostSubject: Re: I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O   I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 3:07 pm

Yeah i don't think i'd spend much time on backgrounds unless I know it's important for the viewers to see something in the background, if you know what I mean and Lol yeah those sound like good ideas, i might use them too, your very helpful mr. jones thank you ;D.
And yeah i'm definitely gonna try and make this all well animated like movements and angles wise and try to keep it fairly detailed, but simple enough so that it doesn't affect the time to make it in.
Back to top Go down
Jones

Jones

PostSubject: Re: I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O   I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 3:16 pm

No prob man. Just don't stress yourself out.
Back to top Go down
Jettzin

Jettzin

PostSubject: Re: I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O   I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 5:29 pm

STORYBOARD
plan ahead when you get the ideas all down
idk about the ideas IMO
they all seem like things ive seen or heard of before
i like number 7 though
there hasnt been to many animations that i know of that have to do with that.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O   I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 6:19 am

Well aren't you a sight for sore eyes. 8D

To be honest, if I had something to finish in 4-5 months, I'd make it about one minute long. Consider the plot, storyboard, animatic/rough animation, cleaning animation, then perhaps some video editing (like little changes of color tone, or adding some sort of gradient glows or textures and shit here and there).

All in all, one minute would pack a punch. Compact and illustrious. Look thick. Solid. Tight. If you don't have to make it 5 minutes, I would recommend you go real short with it. The man hours required to do anything add up REAL fast.

You've put some nice time into coming up with all these ideas I see...

I like idea 6 best because it can be summed up in a very short film and there can be a simple lesson behind it which doesn't need any words: the fighter makes the weapon.

All you need to make a story good is for it to have a point. Think of a story as a conversation; what makes a good conversation? Funniness? Great conversation. True emotions expressed? Great conversation. A small lesson? Great conversation.

Whichever story idea you use, make it an absolutely great conversation.
Back to top Go down
Flax

PostSubject: Re: I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O   I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 6:29 pm

Jettzin, i was looking at that one too, something different idk

lool hey edy :3
And yeah, past few days, as i haven't even started yet i was also thinking about cutting down the animations length considerably, because I don't think i have enough time to animate that 5 minutes and make it look good all the way through, so 1 or 2 minutes should be more than enough.
And thanks the way you describe a story being a conversation, that's awesome, it will help me when deciding on whats happening when, how to get the point across in the animation and what will keep the viewers entertained. I'm going to decide on a idea by the end of tomorrow i think, going to try and mentally think through each one and see if it could fit successfully into a 1 or 2 minute animation without being too fast or confusing or boring
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O   I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm coming back, and STRONG >:O
Page 1 of 1