Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Animation Project

Go down 
+3
Edyrem
0lelouch0
Jettzin
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
0lelouch0

0lelouch0

Animation Project - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 7:25 pm

I find a lot of the questions about 3d animation harder to answer. Because I have very little to do with it, and not sure how much it has changed.

Some of the things though, I have opinions of.

Do you believe that 2D animation is beginning to be a lost art? Why or why not?
It is definitely not a lost art. In fact, 2D animation is still the most popular animation style for tv shows. And in places like Japan, with their anime, they have not made the huge leap into 3D animation like the western world has.

Do you think 2D animation has more competition now because of 3D animation? Why or why not?
In some cases. 3D animation has definitely taken over the movie industry, you see so little 2D animated movies. But I still believe that this is only the case for the Western world. Anime is still huge.

What are your personal feelings on 3D animation?
I love 3D animation, the things that Pixar has done with it, and Weta digital are really amazing.
But I still do miss the days of Sword in the Stone, and those classic Disney movies.
I believe that 3D animation fits mainly with the movie industry. For some reason, it just doesn't sit right with me to see a tv series using 3D animation.
But maybe that's just me, because I love anime so much.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 4:26 am

What was your reaction to the creation of 3D animation?

Awesome, this could open up a lot of possibilities. As with a lot of new things, I saw this as a nice gadget at first but got to like and appreciate it the more experience studios gained while working with 3D, Toy story was the turning point, definitely.

Has 3D animation changed your work process or work in anyway? Why or why not?

I don't work in 3D, so for me nothing changed.

How did 3D animation change the animation industry?

It has created a lot of jobs for animators willing to learn the trade. Furthermore, it's turned the animation industry into a battle of the giants with 3d in one corner and 2d in the other.
Companies now have to think a lot more about which style to use and what is the most commercially viable choice for their idea.

Do you think 3D animation has revolutionized the animation industry? Why or why not?

Yes, but not as much as some people like to believe.
Animation is still animation, regardless of whether it's 2D or 3D.
3D is an efficitien animation method if used right, so a lot of companies switched to that type of animation.

Has 3D animation made anything easier for the animators or anyone else in a production of an animation?
Why or why not?

Yes, once a character model is made, it doesn't have to be redrawn every frame, which make 3D animation relatively easy when it comes to how much time is spent animating.
relatively speaking, it's a more efficient way of animating.

Do you think 3D animation is helpful to the animation community? Why or why not?

Yes, but only to the people willing to try 3D animation.
for every style and type of animation, still apply the same animation principles, you could animate with kleenex tissues, it doesn't matter, you're still going to have to use the same techniques of animating when it comes to timing and spacing for example.

How has 3D animation affected the film industry?

3D animation has also introduced the option of motion capture transferred to a 3D character model, which basically destroys the animation part.
Also, 3D animated feature films have pushed 2D feature films aside as the main source of feature length animation, which is a sad thing, seeing as how 2D has its' own special feel to it.

Why do you think 3D animation is seen more in the mainstream?

It's easier to make something look good in 3D than in 2D.
it takes less time, thus is more financially viable.

No, there's still plenty of places where 2D is a wanted trade and it still has its' own magic that 3D will never be able to replace.
There's still 2D cartoons on TV, and I'm not just talking about anime.

Do you think 2D animation has more competition now because of 3D animation? Why or why not?

Obviously, yes. see statements above.

Do you believe that the essence of 2D animation still lives in 3D animation? Why or why not?

Yes, techniques used in 2D animation still apply to 3D animation.
the basics of animation apply to every style there is.

How much has changed since the early days of “Steamboat Willie”?

As time passed, animation become more interesting from a commercial point of view. this has changed how much time is being spent on an animation.
With the introduction of digital animation, it has become a lot easier to animate something that sells than it used to be. Cells for animation are ridiculously expensive, thus, won't be used as much as they were when they were the only way people could animate.

How has 3D animation affected culture?

People get more interested in animation because they're confronted with it more than they used to be.
without avatar, people wouldn't have bought 3D TVs, for example.

Do see 3D animation to continue in say, 30 to 50 years from now? Why or why not?

Yes, as long as there will be children to appreciate animation, there will be multiple styles. 3d animation will slowly transfer to holograms like in japan with the vocaloids, but won't be lost altogether, just like what happens now with 2D.

Where do you think animation is headed next?

Holograms, augmented reality, those are the two things that will happen next I believe.

I like it, as long as the creators take the time to make something nice.
not everything has to be cost-effective.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 4:54 am

@Tom;
Quote :
then contact them as a journalist writing for Psuda. I think we'd all be interested in an article about the 2d/3d revolution here on Psuda.
Smooth shit, bro. Great idea. Look thick. Solid. Tight.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 6:15 pm

My answers to your big-ass list of questions:

What was your reaction to the creation of 3D animation?
I didn't quite acknowledge it when it was created, actually, so I didn't really 'react' in any way. I just remember seeing Toy Story when I was really little and loving it to bits.

Has 3D animation changed your work process or work in anyway? Why or why not?
Not yet. I'm still exploring the realm of 2D artwork, namely painting and designing things. I do not see myself making masterpiece animations in the future without some 3D essence, but I'll get there when I get there.

How did 3D animation change the animation industry?
Flipped the table right over. Bam, all of a sudden fantasy was made much more believable. Realism was suddenly attainable with movies that sport aliens and supernatural water behavior.

Do you think 3D animation has revolutionized the animation industry? Why or why not?
This question and the one right before it are kind of the same thing, but I'll extend my answer to here. Yes, it revolutionized the way filmmakers and game developers can immerse the audience; by mimicking the details of the real world to a degree that 2D simply cannot. There is something special, I find, about the way 3D shapes have perfect perspective and consistent form. These qualities even appeal to 2D artists, as you can notice from the clever use of 3D planes with 2D looking skins on them, creating the gorgeous result of having something like a painted background actually behave like an environment within 3D space.

Has 3D animation made anything easier for the animators or anyone else in a production of an animation? Why or why not?
Realism is key here. I find that this is the pinnacle of what 3D animation brings to the table. It's the most effective way for someone to mimic real life. And it's as they say, even cartoons are creative interpretations of things that exist in real life. 3D realism just takes that interpretation to such an accurate degree that you're left believing the animation no matter how crazy it is. Yes, as far as mimicking real life goes, I wouldn't say 3D made it easier. That doesn't describe it enough. 3D allowed it to be possible in the first place.

Do you think 3D animation is helpful to the animation community? Why or why not?
Yes, of course. Versatile knowledge of new, cutting-edge technology can only enhance the craft of today's digital graphics artist. Artists like Android Jones have used basic 3D shapes to decorate their digital paintings, and the results are absolutely beautiful. It's all up to the artist's creative limit what 3D can do for the animation community. Not just 3D though, but any element of digital art, be it something from the realm of 2D like vector art, or from the realm of 3D like smoke simulations. The mind of the artist is what ultimately decides how the tools will serve them.

How has 3D animation affected the film industry?
It's become such a rich business for 3D artists nowadays. Big blockbuster movie directors throw so much money at 3D studios, because it's such a useful medium to hone along with the traditional effects directors have at their disposal. Thing is, 3D starts to seem like a crutch nowadays. It's like the 3D artists are doing more work than the storywriters/directors of the movie. 3D effects are the new cleavage of movies, I'd say. They sure keep me interested, I'll tell you that.

Why do you think 3D animation is seen more in the mainstream?
As I said previously, it's such a useful tool for effects, opening up countless possibilities. 3D is just awesome. Everyone likes seeing it (or almost everyone, to be fair). It's spreading like a virus. A good one for me, I'd say. More business in the future! I just wonder what crazy thing they might invent that kicks 3D up a notch, like holograms, or tactile stimulus, or something like that.

As far as mainstream goes? 2D animation seems to have a special place in children's entertainment and many commercial clips. It also seems to be seen as more of a novelty now, in my opinion. That thought doesn't please me, but I believe that's the common attitude about it among non-animators nowadays.

Certainly. Feature film animations are almost monopolized by 3D. As with video games. 3D has displaced a lot of the animation industry with its presence.

Do you believe that the essence of 2D animation still lives in 3D animation? Why or why not?
Without a doubt. Look at Pixar / Dreamworks films. They incorporate all kinds of timing/motion elements to steer the scene's mood and energy. Not to mention the actual quality of the regular motions. Motion capture animation hasn't gotten that prevalent yet. The artistic technique behind orchestrating beautiful, emotionally melodic motions does not discriminate between 2D and 3D. It's all the same at the core.

How much has changed since the early days of “Steamboat Willie”?
Animation has been taken much more seriously. From the world's first animated film being some sort of flipbook animation of the Titanic sinking, to the pseudo-real quality in Avatar. Though it seems like, for the film industry, that 2D animation had its climax in the 80s-90s then took a dip as 3D became more prevalent.

Also, it's truly a beautiful thing that animation snowballed so much after a flipbook presentation that it became a worldwide industry. Truly beautiful.

How has 3D animation affected culture?
Children are numbingly accustomed to astronomically gorgeous stimulus which is slowly stifling their need to use their own imagination, what with everything already visualized for them to the greatest extent. It is certainly my goal to do just that (realize my imagination onto the screen and such), but the fact of the matter is that people do not have a taste for retro art anymore... like a child addicted to sugar would find a ripe apple to be bland and devoid of sweetness.

People need to actively maintain a neutrality in their perspective in order to truly appreciate 3D (or any modern/advanced sort of) animation.

Do see 3D animation to continue in say, 30 to 50 years from now? Why or why not?
Sure. I can't imagine why it wouldn't, other than to make way for a better technology, which seems impossible as far as I know. You can't quite go into "4D" animation, can you? I'll stop right here before this gets philosophical though.

Where do you think animation is headed next?
More streamlined workflow/interfaces, for better or for worse. Greater computers for greater 3D workflow, which also means 3D will be a lower paying business for the animators, as normal computers will be powerhouses in 20 years compared to today. I believe that no matter what happens next in animation; whatever new toy comes along, the predecessors will always exist at a base level. 2D art like anime... actually, maybe 3D will glaze over that. Perhaps manga. Yes, manga and comics will definitely live on, so 2D anime will still live on for sure, unless they start adapting comics/manga in 3D. Could be interesting.
I can't quite tell you where it's heading in the world, but as far as my artistry is concerned, I plan on mixing 2D and 3D in unique ways to realize my imagination to the fullest. I reckon if you are completely versatile in both 3D and 2D animation, you truly have no excuse not to replicate anything you could possibly visualize.

It's awesome. It fills shoes 2D cannot, and vice versa. I used to be a stickler for true-looking physics and consistent shapes when looking at a 2D animation and judging it. I had this need to replicate the most real-looking visualizations through drawn animation. That obsession with realistic cartoons (feels like an oxymoron in a way, doesn't it?) has helped me develop my skills in understanding timing and spacing, but now my outlook is different. After embracing the idea of learning 3D, suddenly 3D has filled those "realism" shoes nicely. Now I feel like there's not much of a need or obsession with wanting 2D animations to be 'perfect' in that realistic sense. The same mentality that has propelled me in the beginning to excel at 2D animation has shackled me from truly growing as an advanced artist. Now I love 2D for what it is, with my need for realism quenched by the powerhouse of 3D rendering.
And with the qualities that are only seen in 2D animation/illustration, and the beautifully crisp and consistent proportions in 3D space, one can certainly combine the two in harmony to create a chillingly amazing visual experience; a combination of the real believability of 3D and the surreality of 2D seems to me like a magical fountain of potential that I don't believe has been truly invoked yet.
Back to top Go down
Jettzin

Jettzin

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 4:55 pm

thanks guys
i can use this as a primary resource
but i'm gonna need some pros to answer as well(no offence you guys rock)
and the arts institute or evan burse aka cartoon block aint answering back to emails :(
any ideas for me its due in a week?
Back to top Go down
0lelouch0

0lelouch0

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Are your questions for us the same as for the professionals?
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Have you contacted Chluaid from youtube to see if he responds? and Gilland2000 on youtube, his real name is Joseph Gilland, he's been one of the leading people in special effects animation.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 5:07 pm

WTF, I'm just randomly deciding to check out animationforum.net, look what I found there!

http://www.animationforum.net/computer-history-museum-the-technology-of-animation/
Jettzin, this should prove very useful to you!
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 6:49 pm

Vouch Tom's suggestions, we should have thought of that sooner haha

Ooh, saving that video to my animation playlist. Solid find, Tom.

@lel; of course they're the same questions mate :P
Back to top Go down
Jettzin

Jettzin

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Edy, bro you know me so well
and Tom you got moxie kid
thanks for all the big help guys especially you Tom
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 5:39 am

Oh yeah, jet, lol since you need 'professionals' to answer your questions, well I just started doing work for money, so for what it's worth I guess I'm a "starting" professional? xD
Back to top Go down
Haitam

Haitam

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 1:50 pm

What kind of work are you doing ?
Back to top Go down
Jettzin

Jettzin

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 2:43 pm

Haha yeah you are Edy
but my teacher wont exactly think highly as a guy who just started
ya feel me?
anyways Haitam I'm making a paper
maybe a documentary but prolly not since i cant the info on time for it :P
Back to top Go down
Haitam

Haitam

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 2:57 pm

Yeah I read this thread ,I was refering to edyrem's work lol.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 12:19 pm

@jet; sure I feel you man lol, I don't think so highly of it either, but I figured maybe that's all your teacher cares about.

@Hait; Just some ebook illustrations, and designs :P
Back to top Go down
Jettzin

Jettzin

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:50 am

Okay guys im stuck on primary resources
i need like articles or letters from 3d animators
do you guys know where i can find these?
cuz ive been googling and searching and nothing :(
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 2:58 am

Um... shit, I know I've seen something like this before, an animator talking about his life as an artist from childhood to mastery, but I just don't know where it is. Maybe Tom remembers lol
God I wish I bookmarked this shizzle.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:23 am

describe how the person looked or some sentences or anything you can recall, then I can probably help out.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Well it was like a picture of a handwritten letter, with a typed version next to it lol.

He talks about stuff, like... hey wait a minute, Joseph Gilland has some sort of autobiographical story right? Dammit, somebody did... Something about his dad enrolling him in a really prestigious animation institute, and generally endearing stuff about an animator's life. I can't believe I didn't bookmark it.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 9:16 am

you mean the animationlettersproject.com thing, I already gave that link to Jettzin, but there are some other videos on youtube specifically about 3d animators talking about their profession.
Back to top Go down
Jettzin

Jettzin

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 4:05 pm

nah im no longer pressed for time
due date its longer now
i can interview some art institute teachers :D
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Yeah, animation letters! That seems perfect.

That's cool, Jettzin. Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animation Project   Animation Project - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Animation Project
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2