Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dragon animation

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom
Staff
Tom

Dragon animation Empty
PostSubject: Dragon animation   Dragon animation I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 3:49 pm

I'm currently in a character animation seminar and the idea is to create a rough character animation lasting 10 seconds.
This is my progress so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA3aHHU-l_4

Tell me what you think, besides the obvious thing, that it isn't done yet.
Also, I will work on the transition from the closed mouth to the downward swing of his head next, so the transition currently looks off.

Don't be shy when commenting, getting better is what we're all here for and I want you guys to not hold back when telling me what you think of the animation.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Dragon animation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon animation   Dragon animation I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 am

Nice, you're already a few seconds in. Here is my merciless critiquing:

His upper body is insanely stiff. My neck and shoulders feel uncomfortable just looking at it. I'm not sure if you're trying to fit him into the screen or if you're going for that hunched look, but it wont work well if you don't make his upper torso so static.

Also, the anatomy in that first shot didn't stay true to the character sheet; his chest looks flat and overly wide; pull his right shoulder back into the body.

Furthermore, the movement of the arms is too monotonous and uniform. His left arm and his head were actually moving in sync. And they're raised forward for no particular reason which doesn't make them look rested. If the arms have no reason to be raised up (if they're not expressing anything or doing anything), they should be more relaxed. Yeah, it's bad for the arms to just be pointed downwards with nothing to do ( because that would look uncomfortable and stiff), but it's just as bad if they're pointed forwards with nothing to do.
mouse-drawn suggestion for arm activity and re-located shoulder:

I am not sure where you're going with the animatic, so why don't you do a full 10 second animatic before actually animating? We'll be able to critique any distinct flaws so you can change them before animating.

Godspeed, brother. Make it thick. Solid. Tight.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

Dragon animation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon animation   Dragon animation I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Dude, thanks for the comments.
Just what I needed to hear, and it's good to have a visual example of what you have in mind, makes it easier to understand.

I needed him to fit on the screen, but I can always just resize the fuck out of him in order to make him fit on-screen.
I've continued the animation and will work on the edits you proposed when it's done and I have time left.
It's gotta be done by this Friday, so I only have 1 day left.
Priority is getting it finished, next comes the changes.
Back to top Go down
Tom
Staff
Tom

Dragon animation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon animation   Dragon animation I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm

so I kinda rushed this thing into existence, deadlines are a bitch to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WyflDEdzqI

Note to self:

proportions of the character are all fucked up and shit
didnt do any effects decently

I noticed how, when I am giving myself something to animate that i have never drawn before, I tend to disregard all other elements of a decent animation such as proper timing and spacing.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Dragon animation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon animation   Dragon animation I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 9:12 pm

Yeah, as I said in msn, I do the whole disregarding thing when learning the anatomy of something. I always feel so handicapped when learning new shapes, but the reward is having more ability.
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

Dragon animation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon animation   Dragon animation I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am

You know about what you can do to fix the issues there. The stiffness, like what Edyrem pointed out, is due to a lack of drawing skill + lack of a knowledge of how natural movement works. The goal: improve on that. Start thinking anatomically. Learn to feel out the body that you're drawing. You already know where I'm going with this and how to improve on that. All I can do is watch you do so. Will your drawing skills have increased by the next time you post an animation? Gotta hop on that shit.
Back to top Go down
Edyrem

Edyrem

Dragon animation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon animation   Dragon animation I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 7:05 am

^ Word.

Perhaps doing some sort of power training for 3 months would benefit any one of us... get this:
Sixty gestures a night. Seven days a week. Three months.
What the fuck kind of beast would that make out of an artist? I'm tempted to do this soon. It's like a steroids version of what darkjesus and I tried.
Back to top Go down
Hitorio
Staff
Hitorio

Dragon animation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon animation   Dragon animation I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 12:55 pm

*Cracks Knuckles*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dragon animation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon animation   Dragon animation I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dragon animation
Page 1 of 1